In exactly one year I reach the grand old age of 30. Three – zero. Three decades on this planet. When my mother turned 30 she had a mini mental breakdown and was in a bad mood pretty much for the whole year apparently.
I don’t plan on sulking about my age, though I am somewhat surprised that it has come round so fast.
I, like most people I’m sure, have a busy year ahead. But I figured that in my ‘30th year’ and whilst I can still say I’m only 29, that I should set myself a series of mini-goals. And 30 of them seemed the most apt number.
So here goes, here are 30 things I hope to do/achieve before I turn the big 3-0!
- Go inter-railing around Europe
- Eat multi-coloured macaroons
- Make an olive loaf of bread
- Do a head/forearm stand
- Wear red lipstick
- Knit a blanket/throw
- Complete all 7 seasons of Game of Thrones
- Visit America
- Get toned/fit
- Go surfing
- Lay in a hammock without falling out
- Single-handedly design my new kitchen (for a house I don’t yet have, but probably with a little help from pinterest)
- Eat at a Michelin star restaurant
- Be a nicer person (i.e. less bloody judgmental)
- Get a dog
- Get a lob (a ‘long bob’ for those not in the know)
- Get to and maintain a weight of 10’3
- Host Christmas
- Enjoy a Sunday brunch out
- Have a candle-lit bubble bath
- Go bungee-jumping
- Get a VW Transporter van #vanlife
- Grow vegetables in my new glass greenhouse (wow, this does sound grown up)
- Complete the Three Peaks Challenge (though maybe not in 24 hours)
- Complete Final Fantasy 15 on PS4 (I am still a teenager at heart)
- Finish the cushions I’ve been sewing for c. 3 years
- Drink more leaf tea
- Have a massage
- Be in Thailand, or an equally exotic country, on my 30th birthday itself 🙂
- Spend every single day treasuring my Sam
Reading back through my list, there seems to be a good balance between challenging myself to achieve something, and enjoying the simple pleasures in life.
I’m going to make this year a year to remember!
I figured I’d start 2018 how I mean to go on. I’ve not had my blog very long and in that time I’ve definitely neglected it, sometimes for weeks on end, and then I go through phases of posting frequently. I’ve always wanted to have a ‘fluid’ blog containing posts about meaningful topics and events in my life, rather than just random page-filling babble. I’ve wanted to give readers an insight into the important aspects of my life and things I enjoy doing, as well as having a balanced take with the stresses and strains that is part and parcel of my routine too.
I acknowledged to myself yesterday that I hadn’t posted much at all in November or December and after some thought (and a few bevvies last night) I realised that stress and anxiety are bars to my blog. I’m a bit of an introvert and have to quietly deal with the issues facing me before I can think about anything else; be it hobbies, health and fitness or blogging.
I want to make a real effort to post more frequently in 2018, but I may need a bit of help from technology.
Now, I’m a bit of a techno-phobe. I don’t know if that is the right word actually, but I simply hate technology. If I could I’d throw my ‘phone in the canal and go back to telegrams and carrier pigeon. But to blog I need some tech and my home laptop (admittedly, nearly 6/7 years old now), is not quite up to the job. That, and I just don’t have the time to sit down and type most evenings which has definitely had a knock-on effect on my blog.
So I’ve come up with a solution – which involves a bit of sales shopping hahaha – and I’ve decided to buy a small laptop that I can use on my 2 hour commute each day. Light-weight and portable and a good use of my travel time, I really hope it helps me to become more of a regular blogger and that I will be able to optimise my blog in the coming months. I think I’m going to grab a cup of tea and order it now before I think about the cost too much(!)
I hope that you will see and read a lot more from me in 2018 and it’d be great to hear from you guys too with any tips you can offer me!
Happy New Year.